The Salvation Army - Southwest Division
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Fitness Instructor 1
at The Salvation Army - Southwest Division
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
- Instruct Group Fitness Classes.
- Ensure effective preparation for each class, including class format, music and equipment.
- Must be able to lift & carry 40lbs.
- Meet all health and safety regulations as defined by Health Department & The Salvation Army.
- Must be in good physical and mental health, capable of meeting high demands of Fitness department.
- Provide great customer service to the community; see that all customers, clients and members are given prompt and courteous service.
- Demonstrate strong communication skills, be out-going, and enjoy building relationships with a variety of members working to meet their fitness and wellness goals.
- Provide orientation to new members.
- Assist members during Group Fitness Classes with proper use of equipment, proper form and safety guidelines.
- May teach a variety of Group Fitness Classes based on experience and specialties.
- Provide information and answer questions about available programs.
- Report all equipment problems to the Fitness Manager.
- Enforcing all rules that pertain to the Group Fitness Area on a constant basis.
- Adhere to center operations as well as all policy procedures as adopted by Administration.
- Observe all safety rules and regulations.
- Attend staff meetings as assigned.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skill / Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years.
- Must possess and maintain current certificates for the specific class format hired to teach.
- Prefer at least 1 years’ prior experience teaching Group Fitness Classes.
- Must have the ability to instruct with proficiency.
- Experience leading various groups of people with different fitness abilities.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate well in English required; bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
- Must be able to design high-quality, up-to-date, scientifically sound, safe and effective Group Fitness Classes for a variety of student ability levels.
- Must uphold the scope and practice of fitness professionals.
- Must comply with all applicable business, employment and copyright laws.
- Must uphold and enhance public appreciation and trust for the fitness industry.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all client information.
- Maintain a drug and alcohol-free work environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clientele and staff.
- Demonstrate positive team leadership capabilities and supervision skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to relate positively and energetically with coworkers and participants.
- Ability to maintain a non-judgmental attitude in working with coworkers and participants.
- Maintain a professional attitude and approach to problem solving.
- Must be able to work independently, with minimal supervision.
- Thrive in a team-oriented environment. Be a team player.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and maintain poise under pressure.
- Ability to empathize and communicate with low-income and vulnerable people.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship would result.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and reach with hands and arms on a continuous basis. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must have the ability to operate telephone, a desktop or laptop computer, as well as the ability to access and produce information from a computer, and to understand written information.