The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
SHIFT SUPERVISOR / LIEUTENANT
at The Geo Group
Facility: ARIZONA STATE PRISON - PHOENIX WEST
Compensation Base: $39,010 annually
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Supervises security/control activities and staff in an assigned area, which provides for maximum facility coordination in prisoner supervision and safety, in addition to the preparation of required records and reports.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in the development and implementation of policies, procedures and regulations for custody, security and/or treatment of detainees/inmates.
- Responds to major unusual occurrences. Facilitates prompt and appropriate assistance to detainees/inmates in the event of injury, illness or emotional trauma.
- Promotes an atmosphere conducive to personality and character development of detainees/inmates and staff through the encouragement of favorable behavior patterns, arrangement of physical facilities, and influencing relationships among detainees/inmates.
- Directs the work of other employees. This includes the selection, hiring, evaluating job performance, employee training/development, promoting and any disciplinary action, including termination.
- Makes assignments, reviews post orders and assures that all procedures including emergency procedures are in place and staff is trained in proper implementation.
- Reviews disciplinary matters concerning both staff and detainees.
- Reviews staff effectiveness and conducts frequent physical inspections of the facility to ensure compliance with policies and procedures.
- Gives primary guidance on situational problems; making referrals for more complex problems.
- Prepares records and reports as assigned by management. Maintains daily logs as required.
- Responsible for attaining facility goals/objectives and ensuring compliance with all rules, regulations, policies and/or procedures for security operations.
- Directs work, provides training and performs inspections of work performed by detainee/inmate staff. May provide detainee supervision and security in other areas as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent certification required.
- Must meet the requirements of being a Correctional Officer in the state of Arizona (current Arizona Certification for Correctional Officer - COTA)
- Three (3) years of experience working in a correctional setting, one of which was in a position requiring supervisory capabilities.
- College coursework and advanced training in behavioral sciences, correctional services or related field preferred.
- Must be mature, flexible, intellectually alert, able to command the respect and confidence of detainees/inmates and staff, philosophically committed to the objectives of the facility, and possess a high tolerance to mental stress.