Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Assistant Operations Manager
at Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community
Definition: Under the supervision of the Operations Manager, assists with managing and overseeing construction or maintenance activities on projects and service orders for Residential Services operations. Manages and oversees all training and development of assigned subordinates and apprentices. Monitors and ensures daily operations are conducted efficiently and safely. Provides input in the prioritization of service orders and preparation of construction schedules, monitors building materials and equipment, and evaluates and reviews the quality of work completed in the field. This job class is treated as FLSA Exempt.
Examples of Tasks:
Essential Functions: (Essential functions may vary among positions, but may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics. This list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of tasks performed by all positions in this classification.)
1. Assists with planning and supervising daily operations for all construction projects and service orders for Residential Services operations. Assists with providing leadership and direction to managers, supervisors, and staff. Assists with scheduling, coordinating and ensuring timely completion of projects and service orders in coordination with other Department staff.
2. Manages assigned personnel and mentors and trains subordinate staff and apprentices on Residential Services operation requirements. Addresses and responds to employee questions regarding assignments, job duties and tasks. Oversees preparation and accuracy of daily time sheets; approves work time and leave requests utilizing an on-line computer system; distributes hardcopy paychecks, if needed. Ensures timely completion of performance evaluations for assigned subordinates and down-level staff. Coordinates with Department staff and trade supervisors to provide safety training to field staff on policies and procedures and promotes practices that reduce work-related accidents.
3. Provides additional oversight of all administrative functions within the Division, including Department and Program budget preparation, along with quarterly and annual reports. Assists in ensuring spending and budget expenditures are within the parameters established by funding sources. Maintains appropriate records and makes periodic reports regarding project completion, budget management, and staffing issues.
4. Provides direction to Construction Superintendent and other Department staff with planning, coordination, scheduling and ensuring availability of required labor, materials and equipment required for pending Residential Services projects and service orders. Provides for the full divisional span of control in the absence of Operations Manager. Coordinates with contractors, vendors, utility companies, and applicable Division and Department staff.
5. Monitors projects and service orders to ensure they are executed and completed within constraints established according to approved budget, schedule, plans and specifications. Utilizes computerized database to input, track and maintain daily status of project schedule, activities and work progress.
6. Provides input on external subcontractors or vendors that perform services to support various Residential Services projects and service orders, as needed. Observes and monitors the performance of subcontractors or vendors according to the scope of work and established agreements.
7. Provides guidance as required to schedule personnel for on-call and after-hour emergency service orders. Monitors staff and vendors to assist in the repair of plumbing, heating and air-conditioning or life and safety hazards.
8. Assists with overseeing and ensuring appropriate documentation for grant funds or charity-related reimbursements on applicable Residential Services projects and service orders.
9. Performs other job related duties as assigned to maintain the delivery of services and the Department's operation.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics:
- Knowledge of the history, culture, laws, customs and traditions of the SRPMIC.
- Knowledge of the social, housing and economic needs of the SRPMIC members.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of employee supervision and training.
- Knowledge of construction principles, concepts, methods, techniques, and practices, including preparation of plans, specifications and construction documents for residential construction.
- Knowledge of construction review process, inventory control and the purchasing of materials and equipment and in contract procedures.
- Knowledge of hazards and necessary safety precautions applicable to construction.
- Knowledge of state and federal health and safety standards and guidelines.
- Knowledge of OSHA rules and regulations pertaining to residential construction and maintenance.
- Knowledge of current building and safety codes.
- Knowledge of general policies, procedures and standards followed in construction trades.
- Skill in operation of computers and related information systems to prepare reports, send and receives service orders, issue directions, author correspondence and perform timekeeping tasks.
- Skill in planning and assigning work for subordinate staff to ensure projects are completed according to established standards and guidelines.
- Skill in evaluating construction work in progress, including plans, specifications, cost estimates and completed work.
- Skill in providing, interpreting and following oral and written instructions and procedures.
- Skill in providing training and leadership to field staff.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with field staff, consultants, contractors, public officials, vendors and representatives of outside agencies and organizations.
- Ability to interpret, prepare and analyze grant documents and understand the requirements of the granting authority.
- Ability to manage, supervise and evaluate personnel.
- Ability to gather, interpret and compile relevant information in reports.
- Ability to communicate efficiently and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to use and read blueprints, layouts or diagrams.
- Ability to work in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to the elements.
Skill / Requirements
Education: Bachelor's degree from accredited university in engineering, construction management or closely related field. Full-time experience managing construction operations or construction business ownership may be substituted for some formal education requirements.
Experience: 6 (six) years of engineering or construction experience, and a minimum of 2 (two) years' experience in management of engineering, construction or closely related field. Certification in the Construction trade is preferred.
Equivalency: Any equivalent combination of education and experience that will allow the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the job may be considered.
Insurability: Must possess and maintain a valid Arizona Driver's License and be able to meet the SRPMIC insurance standards.
Special Requirements: Employment is contingent upon successful completion of an extensive background check and drug screening.
Prior to hire as an employee, applicants will be subject to drug and alcohol testing. Will be required to pass a pre-employment background/fingerprint check. Employees are subject to random and alcohol testing. "SRPMIC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer" Preference will be given to a qualified Community Member, then a qualified Native American and then other qualified candidate
Application instructions: To apply or view full job description go to www.srpmic-nsn.gov/employment *Resumes alone will not be accepted. Please apply by closing date 1/26/19.
To apply for this position or to view the full job description, please visit our website at http://www.srpmic-nsn.gov/employment/ then select Employment Opportunities. Please apply by closing date 1/26/19.