Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Accounting Manager (A/R-Office Services)
at Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community
Definition: Under general supervision of the Assistant Finance Director, coordinates the activities of the Financial Services Division and acts as a consolidated administrative function that provides clerical services to the entire Finance Department. The Finance Services Manager is tasked with working with other Department Supervisors, Managers, Assistant Directors and the Director to improve overall Department operational processes, practices and procedures. This job class is treated as FLSA exempt.
Examples of Tasks:
Essential Functions: Essential functions may vary among positions and may include the following tasks and other characteristics. This list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not intended to be a comprehensive list of tasks performed by all positions in this classification.
Distinguishing Features: The Accounting Manager (Finance Services) is distinguished from other Accounting Managers in the Department by emphasis on Accounts Receivable, managing the water billing program for the Community, Department cash management, office services, administrative support, cash handling supervision and basic accounting work.
1. Supervision: Supervises assigned Financial Services Division staff members including Cashiers, AR Accountants and Office Services Supervisor.
- Prioritizes, assigns and coordinates staff workflow.
- Develops staff work schedules and assignments.
- Coordinates staff training and assistance as needed.
- Evaluates clerical and secretarial staff and prepares draft performance evaluations that are reviewed and approved by the Assistant Finance Director or designee.
- Establishes staff performance standards thereby providing a Division-wide set of guidance standards and operational processes.
2. Mentoring: Mentors Division staff so they attain the technical and customer service skills along with experience necessary to perform independently and attain further career progression goals.
3. Training: Coordinates training for Finance clerical and secretarial staff.
- Conducts initial and ongoing training for Customer Service skills and techniques.
- Assesses staff skills proficiency level regarding clerical duties and implements a training program to standardize skills.
- Assesses basic accounting skills of staff and implements training programs to fit the needs of the staff and organization.
- Communicates the Division goals and objectives to staff.
- Trains staff regarding standardized, professional telephone etiquette.
- Coordinates staff professional development. Works with Assistant Finance Director to develop an overall training plan for administrative staff to upgrade clerical skills and basic accounting skills.
4. Accounts Receivable: Verifies all monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual billings are entered into PeopleSoft (PS) and invoiced in a timely manner.
- Over see sales tax deposits and entries into PS and works with the Treasurer Department regarding discrepancies between deposit amounts and database entries.
- Reviews wire transfers and journal entries for accuracy and makes necessary corrections.
- Ensures all revenue accounts are reconciled monthly and any required journal entries are created to reclassify any necessary payments received.
- Ensures all cash and check payments received at the Finance Department are entered into the appropriate system and coded to the correct account within 24 hours.
- Makes the daily bank deposit for each bank account for funds received by the Department by the morning of the next business day.
- Applies direct journal entries and payments to each deposit accurately within 24 hours.
- Conducts research for any account information for deposits and direct journal entries as required or requested by Departments.
- Oversees and maintains a database for all home loans, ensures money is properly received and accurately coded in Northridge.
- Ensures all invoice payments are applied and cleared daily.
- Verifies and approves the annual landowner escrow statements.
5. Accounts Receivable-Water Program: Verifies and approves all monthly water billings before they are finalized and entered into the Continental water billing software. Researches and corrects any deficiencies then ensures all water bills are printed and sent out to water customers monthly.
- Researches and maintains monthly water billing amounts and makes sure any fluctuations are researched and documented.
- Ensures all money is being properly collected on the water receivables account.
- Oversees the Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) process for water billing.
- Makes the journal entries for water bills for SRPMIC Housing accounts are complete and correct in the Continental Water Billing system.
- Oversees and maintains accurate water accounts for all residential and commercial Community customers.
- Oversees all water payment collections including creating and maintaining any necessary water payment agreement contracts.
- Generates a monthly water shut-off list for past due payments and contract non-compliance. Coordinates the monthly "turn-ons" and "shut-offs" with the Public Works Department.
- Provides water account customer service as required and makes all necessary adjustments to water accounts based on appropriate research and documentation.
- Researches account discrepancies so the General Ledger reconciliation is accurate.
- Calculates deposits due for commercial water accounts based on estimated water usage.
- Generates any necessary refunds for commercial and residential water deposits.
- Coordinates with the Public Works Department and the Salt River Financial Services Institution (SRFSI) all water services needed on any new homes being built in the Community.
6. Cash Management: Manages the Department's ready cash assets.
- Establishes, oversees, improves and enforces the cash handling policies, practices and procedures.
- Trains and monitors Division staff regarding cash handling policies and ensures the cash handling procedures are being followed by the Cashier's Office at all times.
- Conducts random audits of petty cash and vending machine money.
- Verifies and approves the weekly petty cash reconciliations.
7. Office Services: Manages the various office services provided by the Financial Services Division.
- Oversees the distribution of checks to all customers and that all check logs are complete and accurate.
- Maintains all Department office equipment, service contracts, leases and maintenance.
- Manage the unclaimed property process by reviewing and processing all claims, updating the unclaimed property database, and submitting payment requests for approved claims.
8. Customer Service: Evaluates and improves the effectiveness of Division service delivery and expands these efforts to include the entire Department's administrative functions.
- Provides "Level II" support for administrative and clerical suggestions, issues and problems that need to be elevated to Supervisor level.
- Implements Best Business Practices for Finance Support Services, develops the Support Services framework and tailors to accommodate SRPMIC Tribal Government needs.
- Works with Division management team to continuously improve operational policies, practices, procedures and methodologies. Works to improve the Division and Department's overall administrative and clerical services.
9. Administration: Coordinates the consolidation of the Finance Department administrative function within the Financial Services Division to support the entire Department.
- Ensures the monthly sales tax reports are printed and mailed to all customers.
- Serves as primary Department contact for requisition input, maintaining all supplies and special requests and requisition items.
- Assists Assistant Finance Director with Division annual budget including clerical staff, office supplies and equipment.
- Assists General Ledger Manager with external audits.
- Monitors Department office supply and equipment usage and expenditures.
- Conducts staff meetings for clerical and secretarial staff.
- Implements, enforces and improves internal controls and accuracy regarding handling cash and other negotiable instruments in the Cashier's area. Makes recommendations to Assistant Finance Director for positive changes and improvements.
- Implements, enforces and improves internal controls for petty cash and monitors effective replenishment procedures.
- Reviews the Tribal Government "Aging Report" for currency and accuracy.
- Reviews daily deposits for accuracy including General Ledger account coding.
- Prepares and corrects journal entries.
10. Miscellaneous: Performs other job related duties as assigned by the Assistant Finance Director or Finance Director.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics:
- Knowledge of the history, culture, laws, ordinances, customs and traditions of the SRPMIC.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft software.
- Knowledge of Continental Water Billing software.
- Knowledge of Generally Acceptable Accounting Practices (GAAP).
- Knowledge of journal entries.
- Knowledge of wire transfers.
- Knowledge of personnel management and personnel performance reviews.
- Knowledge of cashiering and cash receipts procedures.
- Knowledge of USPS postal processes and procedures.
- Knowledge of general accounting, finance and administrative processes and procedures.
- Knowledge of general principles for public organization and administration.
- Knowledge of general, successful training techniques.
- Skill with effective communication including oral, written and presentation.
- Skill developing and monitoring budgets.
- Skill in basic accounting and reconciliation.
- Skill successfully supervising staff.
- Skill operating standard office equipment.
- Skill in basic analytical problem solving.
- Ability to train and mentor staff.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive and effective working relationships at all levels within the department and Community.
- Ability to work on a team.
- Ability to use a computer including standard MS Windows, MS Excel and MS Office software.
- Ability to compile and analyze less complex data and produce reports.
- Ability to analyze problems relating to technical equipment, processes and procedures.
- Ability to interpret and apply policies, practices, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Ability to lift and carry 30 lbs.
Skill / Requirements
Education & Experience: A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university AND 6 years' experience in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or a closely related field required.
- 3 years' experience in general accounting and/or financial office and systems administration, including cash handling, journal entries, reconciliations, financial reporting and adjustments required.
- 3 years supervisory experience preferred.
- Advanced Education and/or certifications in a closely related field preferred.
- PeopleSoft experience preferred.
Equivalency: Any equivalent combination of education and experience that will allow the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the job may be considered.
Special Requirements: Position may require ability to be bonded.
- Ability to work beyond the normal work hours may be required.
Prior to hire as an employee, applicants will be subject to drug and alcohol testing. Will be required to pass a pre-employment background/fingerprint check. Employees are subject to random and alcohol testing. "SRPMIC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer" Preference will be given to a qualified Community Member, then a qualified Native American and then other qualified candidate
Application instructions: To apply or view full job description go to www.srpmic-nsn.gov/employment *Resumes alone will not be accepted. Please apply by closing date 1/23/19.
To apply for this position or to view the full job description, please visit our website at http://www.srpmic-nsn.gov/employment/ then select Employment Opportunities. Please apply by closing date 1/23/19.