Rain Bird Corporation
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Engineering Group Manager - Mechanical
at Rain Bird Corporation
- Job ID
- # Positions
- United States
A leader in global irrigation and innovating The Intelligent Use of Water, Rain Bird has a dynamic opportunity for you to join our team.
As part of Rain Bird's Controls division, the Engineering Group Manager for mechanical provides the technical and administrative leadership for a team of mechanical development engineers and oversees the planning, execution, and tracking of multiple projects. Specific activities include staffing, people management, external vendor management, project planning, monitoring progress, developing and tracking budgets, controlling expenses, facilitating team meetings, and more.
Rain Bird's Controls division is a multi-disciplinary engineering and production team. We make irrigation controllers for a variety of applications using creative and innovative state of the art engineering methods. Our diverse group is comprised of self-motivated people who are excited to share their expertise in various engineering specialties, such as Mechanical, Electronics, Firmware, Software, and IOT.
The successful candidate will:
- provide outstanding personal leadership, goal setting and staff development
- be an expert in plastics design of electronic product enclosures
- be knowledgeable in the steps of electronics product development
- provide technical leadership, foster creativity and innovation
- participate heavily in all phases of product conceptualization, justification, requirements definition, development, implementation, and launch
- interface with customer business units to deliver expected results associated with assigned projects
- work with engineering teams to prepare budget and schedule estimates for new projects
- set priorities, develop work schedules, and regularly assess progress
- be enthusiastic, hardworking, and have a can-do attitude
- possess strong communications skills
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering; MS or other advanced degree
- 10+ years of product design and project engineering experience, with increasing levels of responsibility
- Five years of supervisory experience in an engineering related environment
- Prior experience with project management functions
- Excellent theoretical and practical knowledge of mechanical engineering concepts
- Proven design experience of high-quality, low-cost, high-volume products
- Track record of achieving results individually and through team leadership
- Strong interpersonal, influencing and leadership skills
- Evidence of innovative and creative thinking used to create effective solutions to both engineering and customer problems.
- Experience in project management, scheduling, and mechanical budget development
- Proficiency in 3D solid modeling CAD software (SolidWorks strongly preferred)
- Experience with SolidWorks simulation software and mold flow simulation software
- Knowledge of Mold Flow analysis and tolerance analysis
- Experience in injection molded plastic component design
- Detailed knowledge of injection molding tool designs and concepts
- Experience with tool makers both domestically and abroad
- In-depth knowledge of plastic material uses and applications
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast paced team environment
- Excellent English communication (verbal and written) skills
- Prior experience with Design for Manufacturability and Design for Testability
- Knowledge of FMEA, DFMEA, PFMEA and other quality improvement techniques
- Experience with product testing techniques such as environmental stress or HALT
- High energy and an enthusiastic attitude, desire for continued learning, and a willingness to take on difficult challenges
- Willingness to undertake light to moderate travel to other facilities in So. Cal, Arizona & Tijuana, and in the field as needed
Previous experience in the irrigation industry
Get to know us:
We have been the irrigation industry leader for over 80 years. We craft innovative irrigation products that make beautiful landscapes, golf courses, and grow productive agricultural crops while advocating for the Intelligent Use of Water.
An example of our amazing products is the ESP-TM2 Controller, which was released in the Spring of 2017. This controller is quickly gaining market share and our customers are telling us that the easy-to-use app and Wi-Fi functionality is exceeding expectations since it ensures customers can control their watering systems from anywhere. As a team, we are continuously working on several controller projects for both large and small-scale irrigation systems.
Rain Bird is and Equal Opportunity Employer