Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
2153 - Central Plant Sytems Technician
at Pima County
- Position Description
This position, requiring rotating shifts and rotating days, is in the Central Plant Operations Division of the Facilities Management Department. OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Salary Grade: 41
Operates, adjusts, services, and performs minor repairs and maintenance of automated heating, ventilating, air-conditioning (HVAC) and associated systems and equipment. Monitors and takes routine or emergency actions upon receipt of alarms, requests for services, or when supported systems instrumentation indicates problems.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Operates automated and computer-controlled heating, ventilating and air-conditioning (HVAC) control systems for County buildings or facilities, to include adjusting temperatures of individual work areas and performing seasonal changeovers of equipment, systems and their operating schedules;
Operates central plant heating, cooling and related auxiliary equipment and systems;
Installs, programs, maintains and repairs energy management control system (EMCS) controllers;
Performs and documents minor operator-level maintenance and repairs of central plant equipment and related systems;
Sets energy management operating limits and temperature parameters for computerized HVAC control system;
Notes and records meter, gauge, and indicator readings and adjusts equipment or system operations accordingly;
Samples, tests, records and adjusts water chemistry in plant equipment water systems;
Monitors fire alarm systems and reports fires/emergencies to the 911 emergency dispatch system, and shuts down HVAC and related equipment in affected areas and facilities;
Responds to and resolves inquiries and complaints about heating, cooling and ventilation in County buildings or facilities;
Monitors and acts upon problems relayed via the County complex maintenance intercommunications network, elevator telephones, equipment room overheat alarms, and similar systems;
Maintains equipment, system, facility and shift operations and maintenance logs.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- methods and practices of operating and maintaining a central plant;
- operation and maintenance of heating, ventilating and air-conditioning (HVAC), electrical systems and associated auxiliary equipment and systems;
- water treatment as applied to central plant activities, to include chemical testing and quantitative application of industrial chemicals;
- hazards and safety precautions associated with central plant operations;
- theory of operation of automated HVAC control systems.
- operating and maintaining central plant equipment and related systems;
- using tools, equipment and materials of the trade;
- reading and interpreting specifications, operating manuals and technical data;
- understanding and carrying-out written and oral instructions;
- responding to out-of-tolerance or emergency situations by adjusting equipment/systems, recalling/dispatching specialists, or reporting situations to emergency response dispatch functions and functional area managers;
- maintaining equipment, system and shift operations and maintenance logs;
- operating automated HVAC control systems.
- Minimum Qualifications
(1) Four years of experience in the operation or maintenance of central plant heating, ventilating and air-conditioning (HVAC) equipment and associated systems.
(2) An Associate's degree from an accredited college or technical school in air-conditioning technology and two years of experience in heating, ventilating and air-conditioning (HVAC) central plant operations.
(3) Two years of experience with Pima County performing the work of a Central Plant Operator.
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications: (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in the operation or maintenance of central plant heating, ventilating and air-conditioning equipment and associated systems.
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience monitoring the function and operation of Building Automation Systems.
- Basic computer skills, including Outlook, Excel, Word, and the willingness to learn the Delta and Alerton Control Systems.
- Experience maintaining comprehensive records of work performed, modifications to equipment or systems and related logs.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Risk Management's review and approval of the candidate's driving record. Failure to maintain the required licensure shall be grounds for termination.
Special Notice Items: Ability to obtain jail pass and post offer physical is required. Due to the need for access to law enforcement, detention or correctional facilities, some positions may require satisfactory completion of a personal background investigation by law enforcement agencies. Some positions carry the risk of exposure to infectious diseases, blood-born pathogens, asbestos or wastewater products, therefore special medical screening prior to or during employment may be necessary to assure employee health and safety.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.