Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Maricopa County
- Position Overview
Staff veterinarians are responsible for the medical care of animals in MCACC shelters to include high volume high quality spay/neuter, wellness, the treatment of injuries and illnesses, radiology, dentistry. He or she must be able to communicate well and work in collaboration with the entire clinic and shelter teams. Staff veterinarians are responsible for providing service and communication to clients, members of the public and patients consistent with animal sheltering standards and the veterinary practice act. Staff veterinarians must have a commitment and dedication to improving the lives of animals, to embracing Fear Free values and ensuring patients are treated humanely and with respect.
- Position Qualifications
We recognize your time is valuable, so please apply if you meet the following required qualifications:
- Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine.
- A valid Arizona Veterinarian License, DEA Certificate and current Arizona driver's license or the ability to obtain them.
- Must have United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) license to write health certificates.
- Essential Job Tasks
- Evaluates health of impounded animals, documents medical findings, including cruelty cases, and release animals from rabies quarantine.
- Performs practical medical treatment, dentistry, radiology and surgical interventions for dogs and cats including pediatric patients.
- Performs post-surgical evaluation and treatment.
- Provides training as requested to staff, including development of veterinary or animal health handouts.
- Provides a high level of customer service to external and internal clients.
This position may require travel between the East and West Shelter locations. The job requires the use of precise dexterity. The ability to sit, stand, walk, speak, hear, read and distinguish colors; to bend, kneel, reach, twist, climb, crawl, balance and/or crouch; the use of various forms of protective gear and equipment; the ability to be thorough in completing work tasks and attention to detail; honest and ethical; reliable, responsible, and dependable in fulfilling obligations; and pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude. The job requires the ability to lift floor to waist 50 pounds; to lift waist to shoulder 35 pounds; to lift shoulder to overhead 35 pounds; to carry a distance 20 feet, 50 pound; and to push/pull a distance 50 feet, 50 pounds.
Maricopa County is an EEO/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
- Selection Procedure
The hiring authority will select the successful candidate based on departmental needs.
All offers of employment made to new hires and rehires at Maricopa County are contingent upon successful completion of a post-offer, pre-employment thorough background investigation. A background investigation is conducted on a current employee who changes to a Safety Sensitive Position or one having the potential for serious adverse impact on the integrity or efficiency of the County. These requirements do not pertain to employees of elected officials who undergo background investigation processes administered through their respective offices.
Typically successful candidates are hired at a salary rate, up to midpoint of the range, based on applicable experience, internal equity and budgetary allowances.