Tucson Medical Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Medical Sonographer Per Diem - Willcox
at Tucson Medical Center
Northern Cochise Community Hospital Position Description
JOB TITLE: Medical Sonographer
REPORTS TO: Imaging Services Manager
Under the direction of the department manager, staff sonographer shall perform interpretive diagnostic studies as ordered by the referring physician/provider. Sonographer shall exhibit quality patient care, and utilize patient and staff safety measures when choosing technical factors to insure proper sonographic diagnosis of patients.
Provides safe and appropriate patient care while performing diagnostic studies ordered by the patient’s physician/provider.
- Assists radiologist with full patient history and proper tools for exams
- Completes all exams fully -- including paperwork and billing procedures.
- Confirms and compares correct patient exam information to minimize discrepancies
- Maintains clean, organized, and properly stocked exam rooms.
- Captures clear diagnostic images of patients by using proper equipment, techniques, and positions.
- Relies on extensive knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and effects of disease processes to properly and safely position the patient for maximum diagnostic yield.
- Utilizes knowledge of all safety measures for protection of patients and staff while administering ultrasound.
- Performs in other modalities as certified.
Maintains quality control of exams and equipment.
- Participates in and prepares for licensure surveys
- Reviews and prepares policy and procedure documents
- Maintains clean and safe environment within department.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Associate degree from accredited school of Sonography or certificate from accredited technical school of Sonography or Radiography required.
- 1 year experience working in ultrasound in a hospital setting preferred.
- Current ARDMS certification in physics and abdomen or ARRT certified in ultrasound required. ARDMS or ARRT certification in the following is preferred: vascular, cardiology, OB/GYN, and breast imaging.
KNOWLEDGE/ SKILLS/ ABILITIES
- Extensive knowledge of ultrasound procedures, patient care, and computer technology.
- Ability to work with patients that have various needs; think quickly, and maintain quality department functions.
- Ability to maintain and develop professional and technical knowledge by reviewing professional publications, attending workshops, and other educational opportunities.
- Ability to successfully cross-train additional staff in use of ultrasound or other equipment required.
- Ability to work independently and be self directed, as well as work with the imaging and hospital team.
- Maintains patient confidentiality and follows protocols in accordance with HIPAA.
- Strong customer service skills, patient focused and team oriented.