Chicanos Por La Causa, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Special Education Teacher
at Chicanos Por La Causa, Inc.
Work Location: Toltecalli High School 251 W. Irvington Rd. Tucson, AZ 85714
Under general supervision from the principal, the Special Education Teacher creates a flexible program and a classroom environment favorable to learning and personal growth for children with specific learning disabilities (SLD) establishes effective rapport with students: motivates students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation in accordance with each student’s ability; establishes collaborative relationships with parents and other staff members.
Must be able to administer and interpret test data that will be used to develop Individual Student Education Plans (IEP).
Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university. Valid Arizona teaching certificate, with ADE certification Specific Learning Disability K-12; cross categorical Special education certificate K-12. Must be highly qualified in accordance with Federal No Child Left Behind Law and regulations. Comprehensive knowledge of State Academic Standards required.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND COMPETENCIES
- Implements and includes in lesson plans and opportunities for students to experience a variety of learning techniques and methods that are used with SLD and EH students.
- Plans and schedules lessons according to the daily schedule and approved curriculum
- Assures that objective for all lessons, units and projects are demonstrated on lesson plans as well as providing a balanced program for instruction.
- Develops and implements strategies to meet the needs of each individual student.
- Modifies and develops curriculum as needed based upon techniques needed for individual learning styles.
- Plans and uses appropriate instructional/learning strategies, activities, materials and equipment that reflect accommodation for individual needs of students assigned.
- Uses technologies in the teaching and learning process
- Assist in the selection of book, equipment, and other instructional materials
- Assist students with setting goals and identifying, planning for and overcoming potential obstacles.
- Meets with students individually to advise on all areas related to transition: such as career research and planning; workforce training; job readiness and employment search; college planning and admissions.
- Teach students to use internet to research careers, training and job openings.
- Implements an instructional, therapeutic, or skill program for assigned students and provides written evidence of preparation as required
- Observes and collects data daily for IEP goals, student behavior, social development, and academic performance
- Conducts assessments of student learning styles and uses results for instructional activities
- Assists in the maintenance and confidentiality of student records
- Consistently assess student achievement through formal and information testing.
- Complies, maintains, and files all records and other documents required
- Confers with parents, administrators, and other professional to develop individual Education Plans for each student in the assigned classroom as well as behavior plans
- Confers with necessary professionals and supports to develop plans to assist in resolving student behavior in the classroom
- Meets with parents and guardians to discuss their child’s progress, and to determine priorities for their education
- Consults with regular classroom teachers regarding management of students behavior according to the IEP
- Consults with district and outside resource personnel regarding the education, social, medical, and personal needs of students.
- Establish and maintains open communication with students and their parents.
- Maintains a professional relationship with all colleagues, students, parents, and community members
- Attends and participates in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and other Characteristics:
- Knowledge of special needs of students in assigned area with a particular focus on Cross Categorical
- Knowledge of the IEP goal and implementation process
- Knowledge Special education curriculum
- Skill in classroom management with special education students and to control student behavior
- Skill in program planning, development and implementation and evaluation
- Skill in the maintenance of accurate records, and verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with diverse individuals and/or groups as a part of a team
- Ability to be flexible when working with others in a wide variety of circumstances
- Ability to independently interpret guidelines
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to meet deadlines and schedules
- Ability to speak, hear and understand speech at normal classroom levels
- Ability to lift and position students as required by IEP
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test if requested and extensive fingerprint and background check
- Keep informed of all and complies with federal, state, district, and school regulations for special education
- Ability to stand for an extended period of time
- Ability to exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone
- Ability to utilize a promethean Board
- Ability to read a computer screen with or without visual aides
Employee will be expected to participate in continuous learning, competency building and maintenance of competency skills.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
Work is performed in structured environments.
Reports to and is supervised directly by the Site Administrator. Employee is also accountable for understanding and complying with CPLC policies and procedures.