City of Phoenix
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Planning and Development Intern
at City of Phoenix
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The Planning & Development Department (PDD) guides the physical development of the city of Phoenix by preserving and repurposing existing development, strategic planning of growth areas, and ensuring safe construction of buildings and infrastructure. PDD has ten part-time summer intern positions to participate in a 12-week program beginning May 20, 2019, ending August 11, 2019. The intern program will provide an opportunity for participants to learn various aspects of the city of Phoenix planning and development process.
The ten intern positions will be assigned throughout Planning and Development Department:.
Planning and Zoning Division
Interns in the Planning Division will be assigned to the Long-Range Planning or Zoning section. The Intern assigned to the Long-Range Planning section will assist the department’s Village Planners with rezoning requests and general plan amendments, along with a variety of special projects. The intern assigned to the Zoning section will assist with researching zoning entitlements, building permit records, and updating data in GIS. Ideal candidates will have completed coursework specializing in urban planning, architecture, landscape architecture, design, or development related discipline.
Historic Preservation Section
The intern assigned to Historic Preservation will assist in GIS mapping projects and/or preparing promotional information highlighting historic properties through maps and driving tours. Applicants should have completed coursework toward, or received a bachelor's degree in urban planning, architecture, history, historic preservation, or other planning, design, or GIS related discipline.
Interns in the Inspections Section will be assigned to the Residential, or Commercial Building Inspection disciplines. Duties may include property records and permit history research, field inspection assistance (electrical, mechanical, plumbing, structural, civil, site, accessibility, zoning, etc.), reading and interpreting building codes, writing inspector notices, record keeping and assisting customers with code related questions. Ideal candidate will have completed coursework specializing in civil, structural, electrical, mechanical, construction management, construction engineering, architectural,
Plan Review Section
Interns in the Plan Review Section will be assigned to a Structural, Mechanical/Plumbing, or Electrical discipline with a Major Commercial Plan Review Team. Interns will be introduced to the building development process, proper application of building codes, and practical application of engineering principles. Successful candidates will be placed in the discipline that most closely matches their major interest based on the information in the application. Ideal candidate will have completed coursework specializing in structural, electrical, mechanical, or architectural.
$16.75 per hour
This position is temporary, part time (30 hours per week maximum), will have the opportunity to receive a free bus/light rail pass
- Must be a current student enrolled in a college or university and have completed a minimum of three years; two years for historic preservation applicants; of related college level coursework; or must have received a bachelor's degree in a related field within the 9 months preceding application.
- Applicants to the inspections section can be enrolled in a nationally recognized construction trade apprenticeship program instead of the requirement above.
- Only the highest qualified will be posted to the eligible to hire list.
- Travel accommodations will not be reimbursed.
- Compensation not provided for travel or lodging.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list.
YOUR COVER LETTER
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
- For other important information related to employment with the City of Phoenix, please click here.
- Link to All City of Phoenix Employment Opportunities
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Admin Intern 06000, ID# 31501, 04/15/19 No Benefits
City of Phoenix employees commit to Work Smart, Be Kind, Spend Wisely.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.