Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director of Development - Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering
at ASU Foundation
ASU Foundation – Director of Development – Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering
With you as part of our team, together our potential is limitless.
The Arizona State University (ASU) Foundation is a private non-profit organization that identifies, encourages and engages private supporters to advance the success of ASU as a New American University.
The foundation team works with donors to determine their motivations and aspirations and matches those passions with investment opportunities at ASU.
The foundation is currently seeking a dynamic Director of Development for the Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering to join a collaborative and growing team of fundraisers, faculty, staff and leadership. As a part of the New American University vision, the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering at Arizona State University is the largest and most comprehensive engineering program in the United States with more than 24,000 students. Our students and donors represent 135 countries, all 50 states, Washington, D.C., Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands and include alumni, leading corporate partners and global foundations.
Together, we believe that engineering is more than a discipline — it’s a mindset, a way of looking at the world. The Director of Development will be a leader in our community of problem solvers, engaging people who are passionate about designing and making innovative and entrepreneurial solutions. To this end, the Fulton Schools emphasize discovery, design, innovation, entrepreneurship and societal impact. We had $104 million in research expenditures and over $25 million in philanthropic support in 2018, driving faculty, graduate and undergraduate support themes of energy, health, sustainability, education and security.
The Director of Development for the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering is a professional who will join and work collaboratively with ASUF and with academic leadership in the college and secure significant philanthropic investments. The principal activity of this professional development officer is to be externally focused, with responsibility for engaging a portfolio of individuals, corporations and foundations who have a potential affinity with ASU and the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering. The director’s effectiveness will be evaluated on the ability to achieve financial goals and contact metrics consistent with the programs and prospects assigned. The director reports to the senior director of development for the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering. The director must be able to enthusiastically and accurately represent the college to a variety of constituents while working collaboratively to secure philanthropic investments to benefit ASU and the Fulton Schools of Engineering.
The ASU Foundation is in the final year of a multi-billion dollar campaign. Campaign ASU 2020 is a strategic effort to focus the entire university’s development energies on one goal – to permanently raise the long-term fundraising capacity of the university. These donations are funding scholarships, faculty research, labs, projects to ensure that students succeed to graduation, arts initiatives and ventures in the community.
What you’ll do:
- Proactively manage a portfolio of individual, corporate, and foundation prospects, developing and executing strategic prospect strategies leading to solicitation and investment
- Build a pipeline of support from alumni, board members, and the corporate sector
- Guided by the direction and scope of a prospect’s interest, collaborate with various faculty, institute/center directors, and unit-based and foundation-based fundraisers to leverage the maximum philanthropic potential of a prospect
- Develop and submit written proposals, budgets, and other collateral materials as needed for securing philanthropic investments
- Be a thought leader with academic leadership to identify, prioritize and articulate compelling funding opportunities ?
- Use the ASUF prospect management and tracking system (Salesforce) to record and coordinate contacts and proposals?
- Be responsible for core fundraising metrics including face-to-face visits with prospects, identification of new prospects, growth in cumulative giving from the prospect portfolio, major gift proposals submitted, dollars raised?
- Ensure proper stewardship and recognition of donors in portfolio?
- Working closely with the Sr. Director of Development and School Directors to support the schools’ fundraising priorities
- Foster an environment for successful fundraising in the schools by preparing the academic leadership and others to participate effectively in development activities and prospect appointments
- Serve as a resource and provide guidance and mentorship, as appropriate, to the engineering development team and ASUF development officers and professional staff
- Collaborate with various ASUF offices and functions -- including donor relations, research and prospect management, financial services, annual giving, and development – to advance prospect strategies and use the ASUF prospect management and tracking system
- Work with volunteers, academic leadership and development colleagues to establish a network to assist in identification and cultivation of donor prospects?
- Work in a fast-paced, results oriented environment with complex and evolving relationships and priorities
- Other duties assigned
What you’ll need:
- Collaborative style, combined with the ability and desire to work in a team-based environment
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and responsibility regarding information related to Foundation and University business and confidential prospect information
- Strong and collegial interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively in person, in writing, and by phone
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Problem solver who can take initiative and set priorities while being flexible
- Team-oriented strategist able to effectively manage complex situations involving numerous and sometimes competing constituencies
- Ability to represent the institution well
- An advocate’s belief in the vision of ASU as the New American University
- Attention to detail and thoroughness in completing assigned duties
- Highly organized and able to handle multiple projects
- Adept at navigating complex environments with evolving priorities and communication plans
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of development/fundraising, preferably in higher education
- Ability to secure personal appointments and qualify new prospects
- Demonstrated achievement in securing philanthropic investments
- Ability to travel nationally when necessary to engage and solicit major prospects
- Ability to prepare complex and detailed proposals and related materials
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and comfortable working in donor/prospect computer data base systems
- Documented success in personally implementing sophisticated, multi-year cultivation strategies that use a relationship-building and moves management approach leading to successful gift closure
- Demonstrable experience in stewardship plans leading to additional investments
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to include early mornings, evenings and weekends to accommodate meetings and events
- Ability to meet demanding work schedule expectations
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years’ successful professional development and/or fundraising related experience, preferably in higher education.
Contact us today.
The ASU Foundation through ASU Enterprise Partners offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan and reduced tuition at ASU.
For more information on the ASU Foundation, visit our web site at www.asufoundation.org.
If interested in the Director of Development – Engineering position, please apply online at www.asufoundation.org/careers or https://www.asuenterprisepartners.org/#careers.
The ASU Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We appreciate your interest in ASU Enterprise Partners. Please complete an application on our site by clicking the link below. Our search committee will review all submissions for this position. Selected candidates will be contacted directly to schedule an interview.
For more information about ASU Enterprise Partners, we invite you to visit www.asuenterprisepatners.org.
ASU Enterprise Partners HR Team