Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director of Business Development, Digital Products
at ASU Foundation
Skysong Innovations - Director of Business Development, Digital Products
What we do:
ASU Enterprise Partners is a global-reaching non-profit based in Tempe, AZ. We raise resources to support students, researchers and programs at Arizona State University so that they can improve the world.
As is customary at ASU, we operate a little differently: not only do we cultivate philanthropy, we also identify real estate, technology transfer, international partnership and defense research opportunities that yield private support for the university. You can learn more about each of these entities at www.asuenterprisepartners.org.
Who we are:
Our team is varied – fundraisers, designers, scholars, financial wizards, ex-CEOs, filmmakers, venture capitalists, inventors, volunteers – and each member brings a different perspective to our vision.
Regardless of background, we share a mission that we can help, that quality higher education should be accessible -- no matter from where one comes -- and that we are responsible for the wellbeing of the communities we live in and serve.
Want to advance the most innovative university in the country – and your work?
There is no single career journey at Enterprise Partners. Roles often shift as passions are discovered. You’ll be encouraged to look across the organization to determine if new areas are of interest – whether in fundraising, real estate development, social media or something else. Training courses are offered every week, and our main offices face ASU’s Tempe campus, where our employees’ tuition is significantly reduced.
Our advancement opportunities are real – and so is the ability to be part of an intellectually stimulating, people-focused, mission-driven team doing meaningful work in a beautiful, vibrant, sunlit location.
Details about our comprehensive benefits are available at https://www.asuenterprisepartners.org/careers/benefits.
Skysong Innovations (SI)
As the top-rated university for innovation, Arizona State University is a powerful generator of intellectual capital and technology. Skysong Innovations, a private non-profit organization, disseminates and manages that capital in the marketplace by nurturing relationships between faculty, investors and industry partners. Since its creation in 2003, Skysong Innovations has launched more than 120 startups, which support over 1,000 jobs and contribute hundreds of millions of dollars to Arizona’s economy.
SI is the technology transfer arm of Arizona State University, assisting in the commercialization of innovations that are developed by ASU researchers. SI is located at SkySong, the premier portal serving the needs of businesses, research, and technology industry and academia while building vital networks between university innovations, regional progress, and the global technology industry. SkySong is located at the intersection of Scottsdale Road and McDowell Road in Scottsdale.
The Director of Business Development, Digital Products is a leadership role within Skysong Innovations, the exclusive intellectual property management company for Arizona State University. This position partners with University stakeholders across information technology and education systems to identify, encourage, and evolve digital product ideas. This may require market experimentation/testing and the commensurate use of development methodologies where appropriate. This leader will also understand/canvas market demand for products/features and opportunistically seed internal development where available university resources have a distinct skill and capability. The Director of Digital Products will provide leadership for projects from the initial concept to commercialization.
What you'll do:
- Identify technology platforms/enabling technologies within ASU that have market potential
- Help in the transformation of a product idea or concept to a Minimum Viable Product (MVP), a product with a basic set of features sufficient to capture early adopters or proof of concept
- Guide University constituents/teams to identify and further develop products that have an identified market need
- Working with SI’s legal team, help University constituents understand Intellectual Property (IP) requirements and implications of their innovations and advise accordingly, helping them account for IP needs in product development and analysis
- Identify entrepreneurs who might want to engage in a partnership around product ideas
- Provide market/customer/competitive insights that intelligently shape the products as they develop/progress
- Help guide the product life cycle of researching, designing, user testing, building, and commercializing (including but not limited to: developing business plans, go to market strategies, and investor presentations when needed)
- Contribute to a team culture of learning, retrospection, experimentation and continuous improvement
- Integrate the Digital Products function into Skysong Innovations’ traditional systems and methodologies, thus ensuring digital products flow through the SI pipeline. This includes but is not limited to the following activities: coordinating invention disclosures and technology evaluations, shepherding patenting activities when relevant in coordination with SI’s patent team, and negotiating licensing agreements
- Work closely and collaboratively with appropriate SI staff and consultants
- Assist with other SI projects as needed and as requested
What you'll need:
- Entrepreneurial spirit and intellectual curiosity
- Works collaboratively, communicates effectively, and drives consensus—a team player!
- Experience partnering with engineering and development teams to define and develop products that have had successful market adoption
- Passion and track record for creating products
- Broad understanding of emerging markets and digital technologies
- Familiarity with current practices in digital product development such as Scrum/Agile
- Understands rapid prototyping such as lean start-up and design thinking
- Familiarity with U.S. intellectual property laws and the distinctions between proprietary and open-source software licensing frameworks
- Experience with developing business plans and presentations to investors
- Highly organized and able to handle multiple projects
- Problem solver who can take initiative and set priorities while being flexible
- Team-oriented strategist able to effectively manage complex situations involving numerous and sometimes competing constituencies
- Ability to represent the institution well
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and responsibility regarding information related to Enterprise Partners, its subsidiaries and University business and confidential prospect information
- An advocate’s belief in the vision of ASU as the New American University
Bachelor's degree in computer science/engineering and an advanced technical or business degree and 7 or more years of experience in product development lifecycle management, product launch, and business development within an educational technology and/or software domain.
Contact us today.
ASU Enterprise Partners offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan and reduced tuition at ASU.
For more information on ASU Enterprise Partners, visit our web site at www.asuenterprisepartners.org.
If interested in the Director of Business Development, Digital Products position, please apply online at www.asuenterprisepartners.org/careers.
ASU Enterprise Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We appreciate your interest in ASU Enterprise Partners. Please complete an application on our site by clicking the link below. Our search committee will review all submissions for this position. Selected candidates will be contacted directly to schedule an interview.
For more information about ASU Enterprise Partners, we invite you to visit www.asuenterprisepatners.org.
ASU Enterprise Partners HR Team