Arizona Humane Society
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Second Chance Animal Trauma Hospital Vet Tech II
at Arizona Humane Society
POSITION SUMMARY: Assists the veterinarians in the treatment of animals and independently evaluates animals to determine adoptability. Assists the veterinarians in all aspects of AHS clinics including surgery, radiology, dentistry, laboratory diagnostics, client education, clinic asepsis, fluid therapy and the administration of prescribed medications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in the admission of patients.
- Administer treatment to the injured animals currently in the hospital.
- Collect, prepare and submit all lab samples to outgoing vendors.
- Perform physical exam on all animals; verify adoptability determination or appropriate avenue for disposition.
- Assist in training Clinic Trainees.
- Keep all clinic areas clean and orderly; restock supplies as needed.
- Shoot, develop, log and file radiographs adhering to all required radiation safety procedures.
- Assist in all areas of surgery.
- Perform Felv, Felv/Fiv and Heartworm tests, implant microchips and administer any necessary vaccines.
- Complete and maintain all records.
- Clean and prepare all instruments for packing and autoclaving.
- Clean and disinfect kennels after patients are released.
- Fill veterinarian prescriptions and provide clients with instructions for administration.
- Follow departmental procedures for euthanasia including administration of drugs and loading deceased animals in the dump truck.
- All diagnostic results, complications or instructions will be conveyed to the owner by the veterinarian on duty or relayed verbatim per their instructions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma and preferably the completion of a Veterinary Technician or minimum of five years' of experience at a veterinary hospital. Education may substitute for experience.
- Must have specialized training under the direct supervision of a veterinarian or from a veterinary technician school.
- Must know phlebotomy, immunology, parasitology, endocrinology, pharmacology and perform safe and humane animal handling.
- Must be proficient in anesthesiology.
Language Skills: Able to speak, read and write English; Spanish language helpful.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to perform basic mathematical skills.
Computer Skills: Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and Explorer; able to learn other software programs as necessary. Proficiency with or able to learn/use Chameleon software (for use with animals in a shelter environment).
Other Skills, Abilities and Qualifications: Regular attendance. Access to reliable transportation. The person in this position interacts daily with the public, clinic staff and other shelter personnel.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk or hear, taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: There will be exposure to dust, heat, cold and temperature changes; occasional wet floors, and animal noises, odors and dander. Most time will be spent in a typical air conditioned and heated office environment.
Thank you for your interest with the Arizona Humane Society. We are Arizona's largest, private non-profit, animal shelter. We hire individuals with a passion to do a great job, and that have a compassion to help all animals.
Due to the high volume of applications received, candidates whose qualifications best meet the needs of the hiring department will be considered for an interview.
If you are among the highest qualified, you will be contacted to schedule an interview within two weeks of your application submission.
If you are not immediately selected for an interview, your application will be retained for a period of six months for future possible vacancies. Please do not call or email for your application status.
Please check our website often for new job opportunity posting. www.AZHumane.org
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.