Arizona Humane Society
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Part-Time Retail and Adoptions Specialist
at Arizona Humane Society
POSITION SUMMARY: Perform all functions necessary for a successful retail operation, including, but not limited to, handling all monies, being knowledgeable of all products and promotions, and providing an excellent customer experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide adoption services and counseling to prospective adopters utilizing AHS adoption guidelines; complete data entry and file all required paperwork. Is courteous and helpful at all times; paperwork is completed accurately and legibly. Data entry is done accurately.
- Keep necessary forms and supplies adequately stocked. Supply of adoption packets, cat boxes, leashes, collars, public information handouts and other necessary forms and supplies are always available.
- Continue to expand knowledge of breed and species types and their basic care. Knowledge of various breed and species type is adequate so that adoption counseling to the public is worthwhile educational information targeted to make lasting pet-people matches.
- While transporting, the animals are safely and humanely loaded and unloaded in and out of the off-site centers.
- Humanely care for the animals at the adoption centers; ensure adequate water at all times. Walk and groom as needed; monitor health and report any illness to the manager.
- Update animal kennel cards daily to ensure accuracy of information. The information on animal kennel cards is accurate to provide for optimal matchmaking.
- Monitor animal behavior. Animals are monitored for signs of kennel stress such as repetitive action behaviors or displays of aggression. Observations of adverse behavior in an animal to be reported immediately to the manager.
- Maintain cleanliness of both the adoption and retail areas. At off-site locations, animal holding areas are free of pet waste and appropriate cleaning materials are always available. Store is free of debris; glass doors and windows are cleaned; counters are cleaned; trash cans are emptied and computers and their keyboards are free of dust, grit and grime.
- Execute all opening and closing routines as provided by the Retail / Adoption Manager, including, but not limited to, cleaning, organizing, and maintaining an optimal sales floor.
- Perform cashier duties; close-out cash drawer, count money and balance reconciliation form. Ensure that money collected balances with register tape and/or number of adoptions performed.
- Answer telephone inquiries and respond to questions from public as needed. Is courteous at all times and information provided is complete and accurate
- Answer inquiries, respond to questions from volunteers and foster good relations with volunteers.
- Provide excellent customer service to all patrons. Greet people and maintain a positive and friendly attitude with each customer. Develop customer relationships and generate repeat business by ensuring that all adopter information is inputted into the system each time an animal is adopted.
- Keep the store fully stocked at all times by maintaining a proper and effective inventory tracking system, including tracking of damaged, in-house items and theft.
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma/GED plus a minimum of six months experience in retail sales.
- Retail background such as purchasing, inventory management, stocking and product knowledge required.
- Knowledge of point of sale and word processing software programs preferred.
- Some animal behavior and training knowledge a plus.
Language Skills: Able to speak, read and write English; Spanish language helpful.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to handle money and balance cash register.
Computer Skills: Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and Explorer; able to learn other software programs as necessary. Proficiency with or able to learn/use Chameleon software (for use with animals in a shelter environment.
Other Skills, Abilities and Qualifications: Regular attendance is required. Access to reliable transportation.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: There will be exposure to dust, heat, cold and temperature changes; occasional wet floors, and animal noises, odors and dander. Most time will be spent in a typical air conditioned and heated office environment.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.