Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System
Accountability, Community, Innovation, Leadership, Passion, Quality, Respect, Teamwork
First Resume Review: 05/28/2020
This position will remain open until filled.
Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Arizona’s Medicaid Agency, is driven by the passion to deliver comprehensive and cost effective health care to Arizonans in need. AHCCCS is nationally acclaimed as a model for other Medicaid programs and recipient of multiple awards for excellence in workplace effectiveness and flexibility.
All Arizona state employees operate within the Arizona Management System (AMS), an intentional, results-driven approach for doing the work of state government whereby every employee reflects on performance, reduces waste, and commits to continuous improvement with sustainable progress. Through AMS, every state employee seeks to understand customer needs, identify problems, improve processes, and measure results. State employees are highly engaged, collaborative and embrace a culture of public service. Visit our careers page to learn more about AHCCCS. Use your skills to benefit others; join the AHCCCS Team!
The Division of Business and Finance (DBF) is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Accountant-3 in our Budget Section. This position is responsible for the development and maintenance of the agency’s labor forecasts, cost allocation plan and administrative charging procedures. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Develop, maintain, and analyze budgets, preparing periodic reports that compare budgeted costs to actual costs; Develop, implement, modify, and document recordkeeping and accounting systems, making use of current computer technology; Survey operations to ascertain accounting needs and to recommend, develop, or maintain solutions to business and financial problems; Advise management about issues such as resource utilization and the assumptions underlying budget forecasts.
* Maintain agency cost allocation plan and related policies and procedures. Responsible for all drafting, internal review and approval, issues tracking, and revisions. Serve as agency subject matter expert for all cost allocation issues. Thought leader for development of innovative approaches to complex problems.
* Oversee implementation of cost allocation methodologies and processes in the Arizona Financial Information System (AFIS) and Arizona Procurement Portal (APP) systems. Set-up and maintenance of accounting structures and chart of account elements required to ensure appropriate federal claiming. Set-up and maintenance of all administrative accounts payable funding codes for purchases.
* Perform other accounting/budgetary duties related to areas of responsibility as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs):
* Internal financial automated accounting systems (PMMIS, HRIS, AFIS) and in software applications in a Windows environment; Excel, Word, Access and other PC based accounting databases, spreadsheet and mainframe software; highly proficient with the advanced functions in Excel to include pivot tables and advanced analytics.
* Substantial knowledge of the methods and techniques of development of cost accounting data and processing related to large financial systems.
* Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of budgeting, including complex forecasting models and methodologies.
* Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a high paced, continuously changing environment with frequently changing priorities.
* Skill in analytical, organizational and problem solving, including interpreting financial and statistical data.
* Principles and practices of accounting and auditing in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as determined by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) and Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS) as determined by the United States General Accountability Office.
* Federal and State laws, rules, regulations and policies governing financial requirements related to the Agency’s programs as outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR’s), Arizona Revised Statutes, Arizona Session law, State accounting rules (State Accounting Manual), Arizona Revised Statutes including current legislative session law and AHCCCS Administrative Policies and Procedures.
* Demonstrated knowledge of AHCCCS chart of accounts and/or AFIS cost accounting/allocation procedures.
* Demonstrated ability to produce reports within Excel using functions and pivots; SQL experience.
* Formal education as evidenced by a Bachelor’s degree with a major in business, accounting, or a related field.
* Two years of experience in governmental or healthcare budget or finance.
At AHCCCS, we promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility and a variety of learning and career development opportunities. Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are 10 paid holidays per year, accrual of sick and annual leave, affordable medical benefits and participation in the Arizona State Retirement Plan. Click here to learn more about benefits.
Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation such as a sign language interpreter or an alternative format by calling (602) 417-4678 . Requests should be made as early as possible to allow sufficient time to arrange the accommodation. AHCCCS is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
Click the APPLY NOW button to submit your application.
For technical assistance, email HRIShelpdesk@azdoa.gov or call 602-542-4700.