Ak Chin Indian Community
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Ak Chin Indian Community
Summary: This position is responsible for planning, organizing, monitoring and managing all programs under the Education Department. Other responsibilities include developing new strategies and programs to enhance the education of students for elementary, middle school, high school, GED, truancy, and higher education programs. This position will provide oversight for the supervision of all Education department staff. This is an exempt position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluates, develops and implements programs, and internal operating policies and procedures to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
- Ensures that Education Department programs are operating according to established Ak-Chin standards, budgets, policies and procedures, and funding source requirements.
- Develops and monitors department’s operating budget for the Education Department and associated programs and services.
- Develops staff objectives and work plans. Assigns, supervises and evaluates work of department personnel. Ensures staff training to provide appropriate and effective services to the Community.
- Assists staff in understanding and carrying out department operating policies and procedures for effective service/program delivery.
- Maintains professional confidentiality and demonstrates a high standard of ethical behavior at all times when representing the Education Department or the Ak-Chin Indian Community.
- Responsible for keeping up with local, state and federal educational rules and regulations as it applies to the Education Department.
- Responsible for the cooperation, oversight and compliance with Ak-Chin laws within the Ak-Chin Law and Order Code including the Ak-Chin Law and Order Truancy Abatement Program within the Education Department.
- Provides assistance to students and parents during the development of projects or with committees.
- Oversees the work of Truancy, Higher Education, GED, and Education Advisor staff to ensure delivery of program services.
- Responsible for establishing program and service goals and prepare required reporting.
- Works with Native students to strengthen their learning ability by applying cultural and language concepts.
- Maintains an effective working relationship with Ak-Chin Community Members, management, staff, other departments, and employees.
Skill / Requirements
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Education Administration, Education or a closely related field and four (4) years education administration experience with extensive experience in any of the following areas of Education; primary, secondary, high school, higher education and truancy standards with two of those years in some supervisory or managerial experience; OR an equivalent combination of experience, education, and training which provides the desired knowledge, skills and abilities. Must possess a valid Arizona driver’s license and be able to meet the Community’s insurance carrier requirements.
Preferred Qualifications: A Master’s Degree in Education Administration or Education and knowledge of education curriculum and classroom experience.
- Knowledge of budget preparation and administration.
- Knowledge of program development and staff management.
- Knowledge of tribal government protocols and practices.
- Knowledge of current Federal and State educational standards and regulations for primary, secondary, and college levels.
- Knowledge of the development and resources of curriculum standards for all educational levels.
- Knowledge of Arizona State school standards and certifications for teacher and student requirements.
- Knowledge of effective time management, organizational and prioritization.
- Knowledge of effective research protocols and practices to obtain current information applicable to all Educational programs.
- Knowledge of Arizona State School systems and requirements.
- Knowledge of educational recruitment practices.
- Knowledge of learning disabilities in students and effective practices and protocols for correction.
- Knowledge and understanding of Individual Educational Plans (IEP)
- Knowledge of Truancy standards and effective protocols for deterrence.
- Knowledge of Native culture/place-based, curriculum development and programming.
- Considerable knowledge of principles of performance management, including supervising, training and performance evaluations.
- Effective and persuasive leadership skills, comfortable with all levels of staff, public and other.
- Strong interpersonal and public relations skills to work effectively with various officials, staff, citizens, and other customers.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to Ak-Chin Indian Community members, parents, guardians, and students.
Hiring Preference: The Community affords Indian Preference and Veterans’ preference. In applying Indian Preference, preference will be given to qualified Community members, then to qualified Native Americans, and then other qualified candidates. Except as otherwise stated herein, all candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex, age, disability, religion, national origin, or other non-merit factor. Applicants wishing to claim Indian Preference must submit a Certificate of Indian Blood or proof of tribal enrollment at the time of application. All applicants wishing to claim Veterans’ Preference must submit a copy of a certified Department of Defense DD Form 214 "Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty.”
Closing Date: Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
Thank you for your interest in the Ak-Chin Indian Community!
Please click on the “Click here to download the Ak-Chin Indian Community Application” button below to download an application for employment. Write down the JOB ANNOUNCEMENT number for the position you want to apply for, as you will need this for your application. Once you have completed and signed your application, attach a 39 month motor vehicle report (this is required to be considered) and send via:
FAX: (520) 568-1051
Mail or hand deliver:
Ak-Chin Indian Community
42507 W. Peters and Nall Road
Maricopa, Arizona 85138
Questions? Call Ak-Chin Human Resources at (520) 568-1050